Start a new topic

pi top without pi

I intend to use the pi top without a pi. My concern is the battery... How to avoid it draining too low to charge it? I plan on adding a phone to it that uses it's own battery but uses the pitop battery to power the screen How long can I expect the battery to læst if only the screen draws power? What if I drop in an android hdmi stick and power it from inside the laptop? What if I power multiple devices from the pitop Such as.. 1)android stick 2)verbatim wifi storage 3)spare android phone charging

This probably isn't a good idea.  the pi-top's battery right now is flaky at best.  if you can get it to work, without the pi, if you drain the battery completely, it may charge, but in my experience , won't run until you apply the firmware patch again. 

for example,  I drained my battery with the pi in the pi-top and then charged the battery back to full and unplugged the power. I tried to restart the pi-top and had no power from the battery even though it is fully charged.  I had to plug the wall adapter back in and run the firmware patch on the pi. after that patch succeeded, I was able to unplug the pi-top frm the wall and run it from the fully charged battery.

but, go ahead and try without hte pi and see if ou get a different result.

Dammit... Im Disappointed ... I feel that 400 euro for the pi-top is way to much :( I happended to mine as well.. How do I apply the patch?

1 person likes this
Jesse, thanks for your answer. I would have wished the battery had been replaceble + battery non reliant on a Pi 3 + Better keyboard + Better trackpad + Higher resolution screen (1080p minimum)

I don't know if it has been mentioned before, regarding the firmware patch, and WHY it works, so here it is.

If your battery voltage drops down near zero volts, the charging circuit will not attempt to charge the battery. This is probably a safety measure to prevent battery fires if the battery were say shorted. The problem in the charging circuit is that it does not disconnect the battery if capacity falls below a certain level, say 30%. This is a good established limit for LiPo batteries. Not sure what's in the PT.

If your voltage is near zero, and you apply the firmware patch, what actually happens is that the charging circuit loses is mind for a moment, and allows current to flow into the battery for a few seconds. At first, this won't be enough to get the circuit going, but when you apply the patch several times, the cumulative effect is that the battery gets enough of a charge that the circuit no longer thinks it is unsafe to charge.

The patch itself does not change anything in the on-board firmware after the first install, it just that applying the patch always results in some registers (might be the wrong term, but hey) being reset, which results in the momentary charge being allowed.

Login or Signup to post a comment