Start a new topic

Where are the STL files?

Hi,  I have ordered the CEED, and I would like to be able to switch between desktop and laptop mode.

I don't know whether the same 13" screen is used for the Pi-Top and the CEED, but it would be nice to have access to the STL files to modify otherwise.

Would you please make the STL files available for download?

Many thanks

Brian Williams

3 people like this idea

Ok. Thanks for your input.  It would be nice if someone from the company could respond.

2 people like this

Well, they ought to.  The original campaign stated that the STL files would be provided as part of the kit.

Given that they were produced to create the parts, I see no downside to making them available.  If I want to tinker with them, why shouldn't I?  Granted I did not invest in that project, but I am investing in the current one.  I would like to avoid having to design my own case.

I really cannot quite understand why you are arguing against it.  I ask again, are you involved with the project, or simply someone who wishes to comment?

If you are the person assigned to monitor the forum, could you please escalate my query to someone on the design team for the laptop?

Thanks.

2 people like this
Why do you post these remarks on the Forum? None of the pi-top users know the answers.
Send a Support Ticket to the Pi-Top team instead.

1 person likes this

I think this is a clear case of fraud.

1 person likes this

I also have this question.  The idea behind this project was that the chassis would enable tinkering, in part because you could 3D print new parts.

Even if that's not practical for most people, they should keep their promise and make the files available.

1 person likes this

The whole thing was supposed to be open, yet where is the documentation on the hub, other than the graphic of the pinouts?  Where are the documented routines that the hub uses?  

1 person likes this
Perhaps we can work this out amicably with contributions from our membership or as you say with a bit of reverse engineering if you are so motivated to contribute yourself? If there are reasons for a hold up given the day to day challenges of setting something up completely from scratch and where original projections have not matched demand for resources and you are alone trying desperately to hold it all together to honour the expectations of everybody nonetheless, it would be a relief from torment that a little understanding materialised from time to time. In some sense, before there can be receiving, there must be giving. Does anybody see the rationale here? I would appreciate any feedback to help me with a wider and more inclusive understanding? With thanks, Alexandra
If anybody is interested in carbon neutral ABS filament I am looking at supplying a line of either filament or extrusion ready granules. A free sample is offered to reviewers of this new European model "T" ABS polymer. I refer in topic to the discussion of 3D printing opportunities or solutions. I trust this offer does not infringe the Constitution of the Pi-Top forum in any way?
I have noted the Pi 3 gets extremely hot with the cover shut even with heatsinks attached. Running graphics and videos makes the situation far worse. I have looked at examples of active cooling on YuToob and found some micro fans that attached directly to the first 4 of the GPIO pins giving a temperature of approximately 40 degrees with nuts and bolts to fix to predrilled holes of a primate transparent case. So any mods you may consider to the Pi-Top or CEED must make an arrangement for active cooling for the Pi3 users out there!
Many thanks in advance!
Someone can share the files .stl to print the pi-top chassis? Thank you

Has anybody thought of the chaos that would result from an ifinite number of .stl mods? Linux has paved the way for opensource contributions by forming a panel of code reviewers and validators whose selections are based on good practice and engineering qualification to result in a consistent result of selected code representing the professional CV of worldwide contributions many of which are selected by companies looking for creative programmers! Surely the place to request such as .stl resources would be in private conversation under a NDA. Summaries of progress could then be shared at a later date. This discussion has ceased to be of any use other than empty griping. Please show a little consideration for those people have already and who are continuing to contribute huge effort to get the latest version of the products out to appreciative customers while supporting this forum FOC.

I suppose that by "STL file" you mean "3D model file" to 3D-print.

Hem... Do you realize "pi-top ceed" is not a product yet ? For now, it's a crowd-funded project, and as a contributor, you will probably receive it one year from now. In the meantime, the project will have evolved, and its form will be different than the synthetic images we have for now. And I'm pretty sure pi-top team isn't eager to share the 3D models of their products, "pi-top" or "pi-top ceed".

Both products are really different, as suggest their respective price tag ; "pi-top ceed" is not intended to be portable (no battery, no power management, no keyboard, no trackpad...). Actually, you can have the same functionality with a Raspberry Pi and a TV. The only cool thing is the pretty case.

Besides, even with the 3D model, this would be irrealistically expensive to 3D print a case for a product which is simply a screen and a box stitched together... You better have to design your own case.

I'm sorry I did not make it clearer.  I meant "where are the pi-top _laptop_ files?".

I take it you are not involved with the project as the context of my question should have made that obvious.

Login or Signup to post a comment