Start a new topic

Start-Up animation - what is happening

I'm wondering what is happening during the start-up screen animation. It stops the Pi from being used while it is doing something, but I have no idea what.  Is it possible to stop it?

Alternatively, I would like to use standard Raspbian, but still have access to the PiTop hardware functions (i.e. screen brightness, power button, battery status etc.

Tim

Hi,

It runs an animation in foreground using omxplayer to give the system time to start all the pi-top stuff.

I do not need the pi-top dashboard and prefer to directly boot to the desktop. I have been able to achieve this as follows. I have not seen any problem with this, but you do it on your own risk!

1. In the file manager, type /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi into the address field, then type return.    (You cannot select this folder in the Directory Tree because of the .config folder is hidden)

2. Right click on autostart and select Text Editor to edit the autostart file

3. Put a # in front of @omxplayer and @pt-dashboard

these lines should now read as follows:

#@omxplayer /opt/pt-splashscreen/splash.mp4

#@pt-dashboard 

You need to comment out both of these lines!

4. Save the modified file with the File/save menu.

Now you can reboot the pi. It should boot directly to the desktop without any delay. You should be able to use the pi as with a normal raspian. Shutdown and brightness keys still work.

Please let me know if you find any problem with it.. 

Have luck!

That works perfectly!  Thanks. Now I know where everything is kept I can play to my heart's content.

Nice that  I was able to help.

Using my suggestion above one cannot see the battery status continuously on the desktop. I have created a little program to do this. See under tips and tricks, battery status display.

Login or Signup to post a comment