Start a new topic

Video splitter for external display

I teach coding and would like to use my pi-top for group demonstrations.

Unfortunately the design means I can't swap the HDMI cable without possibly dismantling the laptop case. It would be neat to have some kind of video splitter available so I can plug it into an external projector with output cloning the laptop's own display.

1 person likes this idea

I like this idea - I also like the idea of possibly changing the HDMI source from the internal RaspPi to something else (please don't judge me) if needed - effectively using it as a temporary monitor. 

If you had a small M-F HMDI extender lead that joined the cable input into the screen and was positioned so it joined at one end outside the case, you could use it for both scenarios. Connected, you use it as usual, disconnected, you could change your monitor source and/or change your screen output.

Hi! Is it possible to connect any other hdmi source to the display driver of the pi-topCeed?

I got a few 90° HDMI cables to I could connect to the pi and/or hub while they're in the CEED enclosure. I ran those cables to an HDMI splitter. From the splitter I had one output go back to the CEED hub (for my display) and the other output go to an external projector. However, the video would not show up on the CEED display. It displays on the projector just fine, but not going through the hub.
Does anyone know if there's some EDID data that is needed for the CEED to show video or that gets dropped or messed up when passing through a splitter?

(I've tried with 2 different HDMI splitters by 2 different manufacturers to no avail.)

Login or Signup to post a comment