Start a new topic

Using standard Raspbian Jessie on pi-top

I have written a python script to set the screen brightness of the pi-top on standard Raspbian. It is based on the concepts and some code snippets of pi-topOS (thanks to the programmers at pi-top!), but works without any pi-top software. A link to the github repository is attached. Your feedback is welcome. It can be used with the latest and greatest Raspbian.

A link to the repository is attached.

txt
(42 Bytes)

1 person has this question

Good news for all users of the newest Raspbian on the pi-top! I have been able to write the necessary modules to optimize the newest Raspian with systemd for the pi-top. The github repository (see link above) contains now 3 tested modules: 1. The battery status display for the desktop 2. A program to adjust the screen brightness. Command line and keyboard brightness buttons 3. A module which powers the pi-top-hub-controller down at the end of a shut down of the Raspberry Pi. This does not only provide convenience, but protects your battery pack as well as possible together with the battery status display. Your feedback is appreciated. Module 2 and 3 are only for Standard Raspbian. Do not install them on a pi-topOS SD card!

3 people like this

Good news for all users of the newest Raspbian on the pi-top! I have been able to write the necessary modules to optimize the newest Raspian with systemd for the pi-top.

The github repository (see link above) contains now 3 tested modules:

1. The battery status display for the desktop

2. A program to adjust the screen brightness. Command line and keyboard brightness buttons

3. A module which powers the pi-top-hub-controller down at the end of a shut down of the Raspberry Pi. This does not only provide convenience, but protects your battery pack as well as possible together with the battery status display.

Your feedback is appreciated. Module 2 and 3 are only for Standard Raspbian. Do not install them on a pi-topOS SD card!

3 people like this

Dear Rene

Dear Pi-Top Users,

I have now installed all three of your modules onto my Pi-Top (with standard Raspbian) and they work very well. I also copied my own set of keybinds, and then added them after update/upgrade and dist-upgrade, and so managed to keep my own keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks for your time and effort, Rene. This is really helpful. The screen brightness keys work great, the Pi-Top shuts down completely, and the battery monitor will help to save our batteries from dying.

Great Stuff!

Regards,

Stuart

1 person likes this

Thank you for this most useful and important work, Rene. I installed the battery widget (I never saw one under Pi-Top!) and the auto shutdown. This will make working on the Pi Top easier for me, no question!!!

1 person likes this

Now that the pi-topCEED is out in the field, please be aware that the shutdown and brightness programs have only been tested on a pi-top LAPTOP, where they work and are very useful. I have no pi-topCEED available for tests, but I think brightness would also make sense if you want to run standard raspbian jessie on a pi-topCEED.

I Rene,  in the next days I will try that on pi-topCEED and I'll let you know  ;)

1 person likes this

works fine on pi-topCEED as well!

2 people like this

good to know that !!

;)

So the pi-top laptop is fully usable with a standard Rasbian (without having to use all the cloud stuff that violate data protection)?

Standard Raspbian with the 3 modules works well. I have no reports of any open issues.

I'm using my new pi-topCEED with latest Raspbian with your modules

they works like a charm!!!

thank you so much!!!

;)

Thanks to Alex and stanoc for the tests with with pi-topCEED. I will add this to the desription on github.
Thanks, Rene. That is excellent work. This septuagenarian succeeded in installing the modules without any difficulty, thanks to your detailed instructions. Now I have my preferred RPi OS neatly packaged in the Pi-Top. Great.

Is there a way of disabling or uninstalling the Dashboard until a useable / stable update is released from PiTop ?? Anyone ?? I have also tried KANO-OS (on Pi 3) on my CEED , abit more polished / stable than pi-topOS at the moment but again the 'Dashboard Concept' draws a lot of processor power even on overclocked Pi's. I love the idea of the Dashboard but it needs optimisation to run smoothly within the OS rather than just sitting 'ontop' ! I'm not a software engineer so I don't have suggestions / solutions but as a user I notice a certain clunkiness (that's a technical term) ;0)
Login or Signup to post a comment