Start a new topic

Pi-top CEED - 40-pin connector vs jumper cables

So some CEEDs are coming with a full 40 pin connection to the hub board and some are coming with three individual jumper cables that only connect six of the forty pins. Why do these two versions exist and why do they seem to be given out at random?

I believe all CEEDs should come with the 40 pin connector. CEEDs with the jumpers CANNOT use the Pi-Top Proto board. 

Worse though is the fact that the connectors on the jumpers are too long causing the wires to be in the way of closing the acrylic slice/cover. It can be closed but you can feel the friction of the wires against the cover. This seems like a serious design flaw. Repeatedly opening and closing the cover to get access to the GPIO pins is going to stress those wires to the breaking point.

The 40 pin connector does not interfere with the cover and gives you full access to the GPIO as long as you have a Proto board.

For those of us who got the jumper cable version, please make the 40 pin connector available.

2 people have this problem

I got my ceeds (the version with 3 jumper cables) and feel disappointed about the problems you mention. I was forced to choose not to close the cover.
+1 on this. Perhaps if people got the proto boards at the time they contributed to get the CEED then they received the 40pin cable. Others (like me) got the afterthought jumper cable with the too-tall plugs.

Yes the 'GPIO LEADS' slightly to tall - Acrylic Sliding Lid does therefore not close easily - could the Pi NOT be powered by USB on the 'logic board' ?? Looks like a rushed engineering solution really !!

My pi-topCEED was delivered with 3 individual jumper cables instead the 40 pin GPIO connector cable, too. I need the 40 pin cable to able to use a pi-topPROTO board. How can I receive a 40 pin GPIO to hub board connector now? 

Just switched from GPIO power to USB POWER - works great !! What you need is a short USB cable that has got a 'short head ' preferably noodle style to plug in to controller board and hook it up to your Pi (see pic)
image.jpeg
(2.1 MB)

Jarle, does the hub board still control the power to the Pi that way, turning it off on shutdown?

I will come back to you on that on will test later - definitely turns on !!

The brightness adjustments and the shutdown use spi. If you do not connect spi between hub and rpi this will not work.

On a CEED with the 40-pin cable, I wonder if you can do this powering of the Pi via the USB port.

Hmmm - can the brightness / shutdown be rerouted or made functional for USB with a software update ?? (Yes I know n00b question) :P

Power on / shutdown works when removing the 5v and Ground jumper cables and using the USB connection from the hub board to the Pi instead.

You can use the 5V and Ground connection from the hub to the rpi either with the jumper cables (or the 40 pin cable) or with the usb connection or both at the same time. In any case the power to the pt is cut off if you turn the hub off. To use the brightness adjustment, the 3 spi pins need to be connected! There is no way to do this through usb. In any case you need to make sure that the rpi is going through the proper shutdown process before the power is cut. Otherwise you will sooner or later loose data on your SD card!

Power on/off works flawlessly with USB from display board - not to bothered aboyt the display brightness at the moment as keeping the lid closed / open at will without snagging GPIO Cables is more important to me now. I have had a look at GPIO pin attachments and see a neat hack coming on - I'll keep you posted :P

Excellent! I look forward to hearing what you've got going, Jarle.

Login or Signup to post a comment