Start a new topic

How to download Repetier slicer program in pi top?

would appreciate anyone that can help, as i wanted to use this pi top for my 3D printer. 

I looked up "SLIC3R install on linux" and got the following answer from "manual.slic3r.org/getting-slic3r/getting-slic3r" on Gargle search

If you were not already aware, Raspbian and Pi-TOP OS are sub species or flavours of Linux and the Genus of Debian. Somebody will help with a further refinement such as a derivative of UBUNTU but I am not sure and most likely biased because I have worked exclusively with the Debian UBUNTU variants of Mint, XFCE and Mate since they offer excellent long term versions of WinXP replacements turning old and tired PCs into excellent machines for free! Now I have joined the Pi-TOP clan to start just as everybody else to learn a little more about building with computers. Please do keep asking questions!

Extract the archive to a folder of your choosing. Either: Start Slic3r directly by running the Slic3r executable, found in the bin directory, or. Install Slic3r by running the do-install executable, also found in the bin folder.

The rpi has an arm processor, not one from Intel. Therefore, most executables compiled for linux will not work. One needs to check whether the executable to download has indeed been compiled for the rpi. If the program uses the gui, one also needs to check for that. I don't know whether this is the case for the program above. If it does not work, I recommend to place a question in the forum on raspberrypi.org, where I have often received usable answers.
...(you may have come across some websites with an automatic selection of the appropriate download for the system viewing the website but it should always offer a manual override to make your own choice posible) ...and the option to discuss either source code, libraries, settings and compiler version(s) with (links to ) guides, or specific support for a sub-group dedicated to Pi-TOP 3D printing? Count me in! I have both a RAMPS 1.4 and an arduino DUE 1.5 and a desire to build an oversize 3Dp so starting a subgroup sounds to me an EXCELLENT IDEA. Can Pi-TOP talk directly to Arduino Shields? Can the Arduino IDE run on the Pi-TOP? I am in Spain right now without my Pi-TOP :o( Regards to all!
Greetings to Spain from the beach in Italy (with my pi-top). Yes, the latest Arduino IDE runs nicely on the pi-top. A little on the slow side, but I am using quite a bit.
Off topic breaking news - ARM holdings have been bought by Japanese company Softbank for ≥$31. A record overseas buyout price for a Japanese company. IOT is the reason and this company wants to own this sector! By tripling the employment of ARM in the UK is their first step. Now is the time for Raspberry PI in all its incarnations to generate real experience and natural talent to fulfil the new industrial revolution of IOT. What can we do with this new opportunity? I believe the RPi-T offers me the possibility of building an SMD placement machine as yet another incarnation of a CNC engine. I would like to make this an open source project under a Creative Commons copyright. Taking a model approach from the FABLAB orrganisation an open project shared across all off the fabrication centres distributed globally under FABLAB to offer finished machines and the capability of SMD circuit building as a distributed fabrication facility in close proximity to 3D printers, plastics recycling and cheap filament production. What does anybody else think of this direction of thinking? Does anybody have any ideas for IOT? How much do you think it will cost to move your first prototype through to small & medium scale production?? What if you could avoid dealing with the big players? What if local communities built and distributed ideas for themselves? What example does this set? Ideas on a postcard to....
Oops, that is $31 billion in case you noticed the typo

Hi, sorry all i was busy with my study and hope someone can help, i try to download ubunta mate but to no valid, can someone help on this?

Hi any reason for downloading UBUNTU Mate? eg other versions of UBUNTU are much leaner, have a look at the resources needed to support XFCE instead of Mate? A PC with XFCE will run where Mate will not is a good indication of the advantages? But Raspbian is a stripped down version of Debian because the available resources are far less than with a PC and as stated in an earlier message, the processor and support electronics are all very different to the Intel counterparts for a standard PC. Indeed the code included with Raspbian addresses these differences directly. Trying to download incompatible programs brings up a varrety of error messages both as a warning and as a protective response to your own system. A practical lesson that I think any discerning student will experience? 

According to various tests and report Ubuntu MATE runs fairly smoothly on Bothe RaspberryPI2 and 3 - and very snappy on an overclocked Pi3 - go go go !!
:P

Wow! That does interest me as Ubuntu has been my fav flavour for several years and until that very odd commercial front end took over. I switched to Mint and I haven't returned. I lament the corporate behaviour of the large window os vendor and how the interface changes have driven hundreds of thousands of customers away from the latest version and many have found their way to equivalent LTS, Long Term Support, versions of Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Mate, Cinnamon, XFCE to suit old to very old PCs with 64bit to non-pae CPUs and to re-establish these machines as solid workhorses or print servers, file servers or firewalls. I have witnessed over 20 years how Internet settings, advanced tab allowed a decades old technology setting to remain unchanged giving rise to a slow performance reduction to continue getting worse until the machine needed to be replaced. Many users did just that. Scandalous!
Login or Signup to post a comment