Start a new topic

Special keys, do something?

Ive installed Raspbian Jessie with pixel. does anyone know how I can setup the special keys on the top right to run the file manager and terminal?

Ive tried playing with the file /home/pi/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml but cant seem to get it right, has anyone else got this working?

Rene thanks from me on ALL the help you provide here. I really appreciate your help and knowledge!

Ken  N8SYG

1 person likes this

It was an PEBKAC error. I was using the function key in combination with the brightness key instead of the key by itself.

I should not have 2 laptops in front of me doing multiple things at the same time.

Thanks for your speedy help.

Sorry, I have no idea. On my system with the lxde-pi-rc.xml of above post the brightness keys and the file manager and terminal keys do work.

You might want to do a

whereis brightness

to check whether there is another brightness command somewhere. There should be only one in /usr/pi/bin

Thanks Rene, xev is very interesting. Those keys work as expected now. Whats weird is now the brightness keys do not work. They did before, I tried the old file and it wont work with that either. If I try 'brightness increase' or

'brightness decrease' from terminal that works. I have also run the install file again. Any thoughts?

The hotkeys are defined in /home/pi/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml

If you want to know the key code of any of the keys of the keyboard, you can open a terminal and use the command "xev". If you then push any key, the key code is displayed among other things. To exit xev just close the terminal window.

A working example is attached. The brightness keys will only work if you also install brightness from

github.com/rricharz/pi-top-install

xml
Login or Signup to post a comment