Start a new topic

Pi-Top Ceed with Asus Tinker Board (instead of a Raspberry Pi)

Asus have recently launched a product called the Tinker Board. It's supposedly a pin-compatible (but not software compatible) ARM based single-board computer.  Its header layout and dimensions are supposedly identical to those of a Raspberry Pi model 3b. 

The main benefits over the 3b are double the available RAM and approximately twice the CPU performance. 

I'm curious if anybody has tried to use this product with a Pi-Top or a Pi-Top Ceed? We'd expect that some of the software features which are part of the Pi-Top OS would be missing - from what I can tell this only supports an Asus specific port of Rasbian. But would the rest of it work?

If it were possible to boot the device and have sound and display working that might be good enough for quite a lot of use-cases. Perhaps the Pi-top specific software could be side-loaded via Apt (just like we can do with Raspbian). 

Sal

2 people like this idea

I’m also interested, but in the possibility of using the Tinkerboard in the Original Pi-Top laptop. As specs are similar to the CEED I’d expect similar results, or not, in the Pi-Top. Has anyone tried the Tinkerboard and compared it’s compatibility to the RPi2/3b series?

I wait for the Raspberry pi 4, the tinker board is getting a lot hotter than the Raspberry pi 3 model B.

Currently responding to this on a Pi Top using a Tinkerboard base! So far it works great, but I'm getting some heat. At the moment , using Warzone 2100 as my benchmark, I'm getting about 55 of heat

Hi Joseph. Great news. Which OS are you using? Does sliding the plastic access panel open help with your heat issues or is some sort of fan needed to keep heat down? Maybe you could create a plastic card replica and investigate adding a GPIO powered fan of some sort. Of course that would present problems with sliding the panel out completely, but it may help. I’ve had similar heat issues in Western Australia on a 35c degree day playing Utube videos. The overheat icon came on with my RPi3. Never had the same problems with RPi2 but Utube was jerkier. Removing the panel allowed more air circulation and solved the problem. Very interested in your testing and outcomes. Cheers 
Did you try the official speaker and does it work without any modifications? I've got a Tinker Board laying around and might give it a try, got the pi-top v2 this weekend.

Well I couldn’t wait any longer. Santa has a Tinker Board in his sack for me. I’ve got the Pi-Top laptop Mk1 and will experiment and see how it goes, especially heat dissipation wise. Oddly enough what I thought was a great idea on the Mk1 of screwing the board down, now seems to not so good as on the Mk2 (like the CEED) you can quick change boards using the magnetic rail attachment. Not a huge problem, just a bit fiddle for my old eyes. Roll on XMas........ 

I bought a tinkerboard recently hoping it would be a good experimentation platform but...in v2 on pitop it seems to need 1 extra mm of space to fit the new (patented) heater on in order to connect to the rest of the platform - it literally need to be bent to fit

I also realized that software support might be a problem

was anyone successful at running pitop OS and connect it into v2? if so how did you do it? I don't want to resort to cutting things off in order to fit the model

are pitop hub drivers working fine on tinkerboard?

The pi top was universal, so just about any hdmi device could work. However, the tinkerboard proved to be too inefficient heat wise to function in the pi top without active cooling. For now, I have moved the Tinkerboard to the official Raspberry Pi touchscreen and flipped the orientation using some code me and my friend whipped up

Pitop v2 doesn't use HDMI though.

It has an interesting cable I haven't seen before, although it might actually have a more common LVDS inside, I didn't check.

I tried plugging in RPI without pitop OS on it and it wouldn't detect the monitor either 

Your findings are similar to mine. I gave up trying to use the Tinker Board in my Pi-Top -1 and reverted to good old RPi3B. However, I have the Tinker Board in an Element 14 Desktop cox with 128GB SSD and it tears along nicely. ASUS certainly aren’t up to Raspberry Pi Org standards yet and much community tinkering (pun intended) needs to be done. If the RPi4B with 2GB RAM is introduced soon it’ll probably kill off many newer, more powerful alternatives, simply due to backwards compatibility.

Hi guys!
I've succesfully swapped RPi3 to Asus Tinker board in my Pi-top v2.
Yes, tinkerboard is a little bit wider, and connector between pi-hub and GPIO header will not install easilly - but it is still possible! Un-tighten screws on hub and tinkerboard, then insert bridge to hub, but don't press on bridge, don't push it fully in hub's socket for now, and after this - carefully push hub in direction to tinkerboard and carefully press to bridge over GPIO pins.  After some iterations, in my case, it works, and bridge slided to GPIO pins. Yes, not fully, there is still some gap (I think, this is because heatsink of bridge is blocked by SOC metal plate), but it works!
Yes, there is no battery indication out of the box, and probably overheating problems - but, I think, it is still good replace - tinkerboard is really faster than rpi3!

jpg

Dmitry: is it running TinkerOS? If so how did you modify the drivers to have HUB work? 

What about the battery power duration for the Tinker board VS Raspberry pi 3?

Battery must be charged more frequently ?

Has anyone come up with a good way to realign the heatsink? The Heatsink on the bridge does not hit the Rockchip on the Tinkerboard correctly and looks like it would need to be bigger. It looks like it is pop riveted so there may be a way to put a heatsink that fits the Rockchip better. If they sold replacement bridges I’d be inclined to experiment but I’m hesitant to screwup the only one I have.
Login or Signup to post a comment