Start a new topic

Using standard Raspbian Stretch on the pi-top

I have put together a detailed description on how to use Raspbian Stretch on the pi-top with the new device manager.

See github.com/rricharz/pi-top-setup

Please feel free to post your suggestions on how to improve this description here.

The installation procedure of the pi-top software on Raspbian Stretch has changed. See the link below for the installation of the latest version of pt-device-manager of May 18, 2018

github.com/rricharz7pi-top-setup

If you had installed an earlier version before, scroll towards the bottom and look at "how to upgrade pt-device-manager of you had installed earlier versions of pt-hub". This will give you a new clean installation of pt-device-manager.

The installation procedure of the pi-top software on Raspbian Stretch has changed. See the link below for the installation of the latest version of pt-device-manager of May 18, 2018

github.com/rricharz/pi-top-setup

If you had installed an earlier version before, scroll towards the bottom and look at "how to upgrade pt-device-manager of you had installed earlier versions of pt-hub". This will give you a new clean installation of pt-device-manager.

It is now also possible to install the device manager on Raspbian Lite, see the link above for details.

After installing Raspien Stretch , the Dashboard and piCODER is not working and my pi-top V2 does not shutdown completely. I have to press down the ON/OFF button for a minute!

Hi folks,

I have a problem with the latest version of Stretch (Ver: 2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-full) when trying to install Pi-Top features to run on my Pi-Top laptop V1.

I install Stretch and all is OK.

I install updates (via GUI message) and reboots OK

I then install Device Management as per Pi Top Repository - using

sudo apt install pt-devices
However, the Pi then reboots and seems to enter Stretch, but immediately blanks the screen and all I have is the red led on and absolutely no activity.

Anyone know what's happening here and how I can get around it?

At the moment I'm going to try image "2017-08-16-raspbian-stretch.img" and see how that goes.

Help would be appreciated. Regards, Ian

Hi Ian,

Unfortunately I do not have a pi-top laptop rev 1 anymore, but on my pi-top laptop rev 2 everything works fine:

Upgrading my existing Raspbian with pt-device-manager installed, using

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

and even afterwards

sudo ap-get dist-upgrade

all works well.

Downloading the latest full Raspbian, upgrading and then installing pt-device-manager as per my recommendations at github.com/rricharz/pi-top-setup also works fine. Note, that I am recommending there

sudo apt-get install pt-device-manager

There could me a number of reasons for your problem:

bad SD card

full SD card

hardware problem

specific problem using different installation commands

specific laptop rev 1 problem

I tried to list the possible problems according to their probability.

Regards, Rene

Hi Rene, Installed earlier version of Stretch and installed as per your instructions and all works fine. I’ll perform Update and Upgrade and see what happens. It’ll either be me or version of Stretch issue. I must say that so far I haven’t been exactly ruthlessly logical in my efforts because it came as a surprise. So I’ll do some more investigation and post my results. Can’t afford a model 2 because on current $Aud exchange rates I’m guessing over $Aud 450-500 delivered minus RPi3b+ (which is $Aud 75-80) so very expensive. For that I can buy an Intel laptop and install Linux dual boot.
Login or Signup to post a comment