Start a new topic

Turn Your Pi-Top V2 into a smartphone laptop dock for Samsung S8 or later, Note 8 or later or Huawei Mate 10 Pro or later.

Hi,

A mini-project to look at other uses for Pi-Top by substituting the Raspberry Pi with some other bits of hardware.

If you try this yourself, you do so at YOUR OWN RISK and I cannot be held responsible for any damage caused etc.

This is made up of:

1. Pi-Top V2
  2. USB-C dock with HDMI out, USB x2 and USB-C power in - make sure it's compatible with Samsung DeX
  3. Low profile USB extension - this will connect 1 port on the dock to the keyboard connector
  4. Low profile (FPV) HDMI female to HDMI male (30 cm) cable - this connects the HDMI output of the dock to the input on the Pi-Top V2 board
  5. Low profile dual USB hub (vertical configuration) - this will provide 2 additional USB ports on the back - plugs into 2nd port on the USB-C dock
  6. USB-A to USB-C cable - the USB-A bit will be cut off and 5V and GND feeds from the GPIO pins of the bridge will be connected the + and GND cables in the cable
  7. Cable to connect GPIO pin 9 (GND) to another GND pin (39)
  8. Some Insulation tape - this will hold down cables and be used to coverĀ 

Here's the internal layout of the prototype - it needs some work to tidy it up!

The insulation tape is mainly to keep cables away from the keyboard as it slides up except for the USB extension cable (I have had to remove the shroud around the socket), the GPIO pins and the USB hub for the additional USB sockets.

Additional work to do:

1. Speakers - somehow I need to add some speakers using USB here.

2. Battery level - anyone have a circuit which shows battery level via LEDs? - there is no Raspberry Pi in the case, just the electronics for the USB -C dock etc.

I've now added a USB-C socket to the rear of the device so that you don't have a cable coming out of it - you plug a double-ended USB-C cable into the socket and the phone.

It's a much tidier arrangement.

And here is an updated shot of the internals with the USB-C socket in place - this has been implemented using a USB-C coupler, right-angle USB-C adapter and short extension cable.

Now USB-C to USB-C cable is used to connect the phone to the Pi-Top and can be unplugged when not in use.

And here is a video of the dock in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDIDWe37PGU

Login or Signup to post a comment