Start a new topic

Battery status display on desktop pannel

Right now you can type "pt-status" in a console window, but there is no continuous battery status display while you are on the desktop.

I have therefore created a little program to display the pi-top battery status on the desktop. It displays a small icon on the task bar.

To download, use the browser and navigate to github.com

Then search in github for pi-top-battery-status

Installation instructions are there.

Questions and suggestions for improvement are most welcome.

Downloaded the zip and after unpacking, install and reboot it worked without a flaw. Many, many thanks for your coding ^_^ PS: someone an idea how to attach the window to the right of the bar

Hi Markus,

I have not found a way to do this easily. As far as I know there is currently no easy way to add taskbar plugins, but I have read somewhere that there are plans to change this. All I found is how to rearrange the panel:

Right click on the task bar, choose "Add/Remove panel items". Then select "Panel Applets".

Scroll down to "Task bar (Window List)". You can play here with the various "Stretch" boxes. You can see how they are moved right away.

If you want it more compact, double click on "Task bar (Window List)". If you now select "Icons only", the active tasks will iconize. Select the "OK" button. You can still go with your mouse pointer over any of the taskbar items to see more details.

Have fun!

Rene

1 person likes this

totally Awesome!  Thank you

Thanks this is great

Thanks! That is a great help,especially after my battery problems.

The pi-top-battery-status display (gtk_battery) has been expanded:

If you double click the battery status icon, you can now see the actual charging or discharging current. I find this very useful to see how much additional current is drawn in the discharging mode when additional hardware is connected (for example usb devices or hats on the pi-topPROTO board).

Furthermore, the log contains now additional information about the status and health of the battery:

- battery capacity in mAh

- charging and discharging current

- Total voltage

- Individual voltage of each of the 4 cells of the battery

For more details, search on github.com for pi-top-battery-status.

I hope you enjoy the program.

Cool! A little project for the weekend :-)

Thanks for the patch. Unfortunately, it seems my battery stays at 0%

Battery status: eternal power

Capacity: 0%

Current: 0 mA

Executing the gtk_battery with the terminal, here what's come:

red=15

warning=10

shutdown=5

** (gtk_battery:16209): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

I'm not sure what it's meaning. Is the battery dead? is there something else wrong?

Also, is it normal I can't see the gear into the dashboard?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry, it took me some times to figure out how some things are working. Here are the result of the process.

I hope it can help. Nevertheless, Pi-Top Support Team proposes me to change the battery, but maybe we can sorted this thing this way. Otherwise, I'll ask for a new battery.

Thanks!

(1.34 KB)
(923 Bytes)

Hi 3DIY FR,

Unfortunately your battery shows an error, which cannot be resolved in the field. Our analysis is therefore supporting your decision to follow the advice pi-top has given you and get the battery replaced.

Maybe you are interested what our analysis of your problem shows:

If you look at the output of battery status, you can see that the „Permanent failure mode“ bit in register 0x54 has been set. This means, that the intelligent battery controller bq40z60 has registered a permanent failure and has shut the battery down.

If you look at the output of battery analyze, you can see that the Permanent failure register 0x53 of the bq40z60 shows bit 1 in the first byte set.This is called the SUV bit and tells us that the device has registered the permanent failure because the „Cell Undervoltage Permanent Fail“ was triggered. This means that at least one battery cell went below 2.25V and it would be dangerous to continue to use it.

Back in the output of battery status you can see, that cell 1 and 2 show now 0 mV, cell 3 1036 mV while cell 4 is still healthy. A reading of 0 mV of any battery cell is quite impossible. In my opinion it shows that there is a hardware failure involved in your problem, such as for example a broken connection to the battery cells or a component failure.

Sorry that we cannot help you any further, but you have helped us a lot providing this data. It has confirmed that not all battery problems are identical.

Thanks again and hoping that you will get a replacement as soon as possible. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

No problem, I will fill up the form right now. Thanks for your help anyway!

I have seen that under some circumstances the battery status display program will not work anymore after upgrading pi-topOS to the newest version. This is because the library wiringpi, which is required to run the battery status display, is removed. To fix this problem, open a terminal and type

sudo apt-get install wiringpi

This will resolve the issue. The battery status display program gtk_battery is compatible with the newest version of pi-topOS, and is still required if you want a battery status display on the desktop panel.

Im running my pitop now with the latest Raspbian Jessie and the scripts provided by Richarz. So far everything is running fine. The batterystatus is showing and the hub is shutting down correctly.

But i found a strange behaviour on my pitop. Every time i shutdown my pitop with 15% charge or less, the battery shows 0% on startup, only after a full charge to 100% it works correctly again. Funny behaviour, but not a big problem. I recharge normally before that point.

Markus, can you please put the file batteryLog.txt from your home directory in a post, after it has recorded at least one, better two battery cycles. This will hopefully tell us what the remaining problem is.
Here you go .

After junping from 18% to 0% this time, the pitop deitched off a minute later. Hooking up to supply, the widget jumped between charging 0mA and 200mA.
txt
(8.25 KB)
Login or Signup to post a comment