Start a new topic

Pi-top CEED - 40-pin connector vs jumper cables

So some CEEDs are coming with a full 40 pin connection to the hub board and some are coming with three individual jumper cables that only connect six of the forty pins. Why do these two versions exist and why do they seem to be given out at random?

I believe all CEEDs should come with the 40 pin connector. CEEDs with the jumpers CANNOT use the Pi-Top Proto board. 

Worse though is the fact that the connectors on the jumpers are too long causing the wires to be in the way of closing the acrylic slice/cover. It can be closed but you can feel the friction of the wires against the cover. This seems like a serious design flaw. Repeatedly opening and closing the cover to get access to the GPIO pins is going to stress those wires to the breaking point.

The 40 pin connector does not interfere with the cover and gives you full access to the GPIO as long as you have a Proto board.

For those of us who got the jumper cable version, please make the 40 pin connector available.

2 people have this problem

+1 on this. Perhaps if people got the proto boards at the time they contributed to get the CEED then they received the 40pin cable. Others (like me) got the afterthought jumper cable with the too-tall plugs.

I got my ceeds (the version with 3 jumper cables) and feel disappointed about the problems you mention. I was forced to choose not to close the cover.
Login or Signup to post a comment