Start a new topic

64-bit Gentoo Linux Image for Pi-Top (Xfce4 Desktop)

Hello,

if you want to try running Gentoo Linux in 64-bit mode on your Pi-Top, you might like to have a look at the bootable image I've just released, on GitHub (please search there for "gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit", the forum seems to swallow messages with links in the body text).

You can burn the image (~829MiB compressed) to a microSD card (>=8GB), then boot your Pi-Top from it directly (the root partition will be automatically resized to fill the card on first boot). Full instructions for download and use are provided on the project's GitHub page (be sure to download the Pi-Top variant, as it contains additional drivers for your Pi-Top's battery, screen brightness etc.).

The image contains a complete (OpenRC-based) Gentoo system, and has a reasonably populated userland (Xfce v4.12, LibreOffice v5.3.4.2, Firefox v53.0.3, Thunderbird v52.2.0, VLC v2.2.6, GIMP v2.9.4 etc.) so that you can get productive without having to compile anything first. Just download, write to a microSD card, and boot to an Xfce desktop!

WiFi and Bluetooth both work, as does sound (via onboard headphone jack, and over HDMI). VC4 acceleration is supported via the mixed-mode vc4-fkms-v3d device-tree overlay / kernel module / Mesa driver, and performance seems reasonable (glxgears 400-1200fps, real-time video playback). The kernel on the image is 4.10.17-v8 from raspberrypi/linux, in pure bcmrpi3_defconfig form.

Courtesy of Rene Richarz's work, the Pi-Top image also contains:
* a patched xfce4-battery-plugin that queries the RPi3's battery over I2C (and displays a gauge in the panel);

* working backlight brightness (communicates with the Pi-Top's controller hub over SPI) with keyboard shortcuts;

* full poweroff on shutdown (ditto); and

* support for playing HDMI audio via any installed pitopSPEAKER units.

There's a 64-bit version of Gordon Henderson's handy wiringpi library (and gpio utility) included on the image too, as the above drivers need it to operate.

If you get a chance to try it, please let me know how you get on!

Have fun ^-^

sakaki

1 Comment

Hi,

I've just posted an updated (v1.1.3) Gentoo image for the Pi-Top on GitHub (please search there for "gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit", the forum seems to swallow messages with links in the body text).

The new image adds a JVM (OpenJDK v8), plus Kodi (a media hub) and Clementine (a music player / library manager). All other packages (LibreOffice, Firefox etc.) have been brought up-to-date against the Gentoo tree, as of 15 Sep 2017.

As before, there's nothing to configure to try it out, just write the image to a microSD card and boot! Starts up straight into an Xfce4 desktop.

Have fun ^-^

sakaki

PS: Existing users of the previous mage can simply run genup (as root) to effect the upgrade (or wait for the weekly autoupdate to take care of this on your behalf); however you will need to emerge kodi and clementine directly, as these are not pulled in automatically, being top-level apps.

Login or Signup to post a comment