Start a new topic

Using standard Raspbian Jessie on pi-top

I have written a python script to set the screen brightness of the pi-top on standard Raspbian. It is based on the concepts and some code snippets of pi-topOS (thanks to the programmers at pi-top!), but works without any pi-top software. A link to the github repository is attached. Your feedback is welcome. It can be used with the latest and greatest Raspbian.

A link to the repository is attached.

txt
(42 Bytes)

1 person has this question

Good news for all users of the newest Raspbian on the pi-top! I have been able to write the necessary modules to optimize the newest Raspian with systemd for the pi-top. The github repository (see link above) contains now 3 tested modules: 1. The battery status display for the desktop 2. A program to adjust the screen brightness. Command line and keyboard brightness buttons 3. A module which powers the pi-top-hub-controller down at the end of a shut down of the Raspberry Pi. This does not only provide convenience, but protects your battery pack as well as possible together with the battery status display. Your feedback is appreciated. Module 2 and 3 are only for Standard Raspbian. Do not install them on a pi-topOS SD card!

4 people like this

Thanks to Norman Lawrence we have now a detailed procedure for the installation of the pi-top speaker in Raspbian Jessie. See github.com/rricharz/pi-top-install

3 people like this

Good news for all users of the newest Raspbian on the pi-top! I have been able to write the necessary modules to optimize the newest Raspian with systemd for the pi-top.

The github repository (see link above) contains now 3 tested modules:

1. The battery status display for the desktop

2. A program to adjust the screen brightness. Command line and keyboard brightness buttons

3. A module which powers the pi-top-hub-controller down at the end of a shut down of the Raspberry Pi. This does not only provide convenience, but protects your battery pack as well as possible together with the battery status display.

Your feedback is appreciated. Module 2 and 3 are only for Standard Raspbian. Do not install them on a pi-topOS SD card!

3 people like this

works fine on pi-topCEED as well!

2 people like this

Here's a quick script I created for my pi-top CEED to toggle the monitor/backlight on and off on Raspbian PIXEL. 

#!/bin/bash
# This simply turns the pi-top CEED's monitor on or off.
if /usr/bin/tvservice/tvservice -s | grep -q "progressive" ;
    then
        /usr/bin/tvservice -o
        ~/bin/brightness off
    else
        /usr/bin/tvservice -p
        ~/bin/brightness on
        ~/bin/brightness 8
        /usr/bin/sudo /bin/chvt 9
        /usr/bin/sudo /bin/chvt 7
fi

The chvt program needs to run with root permissions, so add teh following line to your sudoers file to allow it to be run using sudo without a password prompt:

%sudo   ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/chvt

Now the script can be run as a cron job, setup as a keybind, executed via GPIO, or whatever clever method you'd like to use.

I'm using an Amazon Basics keyboard that has a "Computer" key on the keyboard. This key would typically launch Explorer to browse the file system on a Windows computer. For my pi-top CEED, I thought it would be the perfect monitor toggle button. Easy to do in LXDE.

1. Edit ~/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml (nano ~/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml, vim ~/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml, or whatever your favorite editor is.)
  2. Find the Keyboard section.
  3. Add the following Keybind: 
    <!-- Monitor Toggle -->
    <keybind key="XF86Explorer">
        <action name="Execute">
            <command>/usr/local/bin/mon-toggle.sh</command>
        </action>
    </keybind>

Now when I tap my Computer key the monitor goes to sleep or wakes up. Slick.

2 people like this

I Rene,  in the next days I will try that on pi-topCEED and I'll let you know  ;)

1 person likes this
Jarle. Look at /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart. You can disable individual components of pi-topOS there. I agree with all your comments regarding the dashboard etc. It took me 3 months until I gave up on pi-topOS and switched to Raspbian. pi-topOS has improved over the last 4 months, but very slowly, and in my opinion it uses too much processing resources with too many background processes, and makes it difficult to tinker.

1 person likes this

The Raspbian programs (link above) have been tested with the latest Raspbian Jessie and they work properly.

1 person likes this

Dear Rene

Dear Pi-Top Users,

I have now installed all three of your modules onto my Pi-Top (with standard Raspbian) and they work very well. I also copied my own set of keybinds, and then added them after update/upgrade and dist-upgrade, and so managed to keep my own keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks for your time and effort, Rene. This is really helpful. The screen brightness keys work great, the Pi-Top shuts down completely, and the battery monitor will help to save our batteries from dying.

Great Stuff!

Regards,

Stuart

1 person likes this

Thank you for this most useful and important work, Rene. I installed the battery widget (I never saw one under Pi-Top!) and the auto shutdown. This will make working on the Pi Top easier for me, no question!!!

1 person likes this
Many thanks to all the supporters and users of the Raspbian programs for the pi-top at github.com/rricharz/pi-top-install and all the positive feedback. More than 500 downloads last year!

1 person likes this

Thanks to Trevor Baxter I have added a new solution on how to set up the pi-top speaker, which can be found in section 4 at

github.com/rricharz/pi-top-install

Is there a way of disabling or uninstalling the Dashboard until a useable / stable update is released from PiTop ?? Anyone ?? I have also tried KANO-OS (on Pi 3) on my CEED , abit more polished / stable than pi-topOS at the moment but again the 'Dashboard Concept' draws a lot of processor power even on overclocked Pi's. I love the idea of the Dashboard but it needs optimisation to run smoothly within the OS rather than just sitting 'ontop' ! I'm not a software engineer so I don't have suggestions / solutions but as a user I notice a certain clunkiness (that's a technical term) ;0)

Good to see you are still aroound, Rene.  

I am about to give up on my pi-top due to the continued battery/hub issue.  it gets tiresome to have kickstart the battery by running the patch.  My second battery has shudown at odd percentages lets (I've seen it shutdown with 30% charge remaining at one point, but mostly it will discharge fully) after it has fully recharged I have found i have to run the patch to be able to use the battery. 

this is getting tiresome.  I am beginning to wonder if I wasted my time and money on this pi-top. 

It has been an adventure, but with no permanent fixes in sight,. I am beginning to wonder "was it worth it?" 

I'll try and keep the pi-top together as long as I am able to but right now something just doesn't seem right about this...

---Jesse Moore

Jesse you are lucky at the least the patchworks for you. I tend to agree the unreliability of PiTop means i will not buy again. I may try and remove the hub and battery at some stage in the future..

Login or Signup to post a comment