Start a new topic

Where is pi-topCODER?

Can't find any reference to it other than the website, which makes it sound very interesting:

"pi-topCODER is an interface that allows you to access all Raspberry Pi resources as well as worksheets created by educators from all over the world. It will teach you to code, track your progress and test your code in real time"

1 Comment

The question is 12 months old, but I'm just discovering the pi-top family. BTW, how does it come that nobody from pi-top staff wrote a reply to the poster since then ?

From what I understood from my exploration of pi-topOS, it seems that pi-topCODER is not an application by itself, but instead a part of the pi-topDASHBOARD app which is launched automatically during the pi-top boot (at least if you have not removed it from LXDE autostart script). What makes me suppose this that there is no process having "coder" somewhere in the associated command when you issue a "ps aux" command in a terminal while CODER is running.

This bugs me a bit BTW since I've removed the dashboard from the startup sequence, since it is not well suited for the intended usage of the pi-top (no way to customize it by removing the apps I don't care, and adding other ones such as the Arduino IDE,...). I tried some reverse-engineering to find if there were some configuration file hidden somewhere, but all the data seem to be embedded directly in the executable file (same for ceedUNIVERSE too, which makes it impossible to localize for languages other that English or Spanish).

I don't like the idea to launch the dashboard just to access CODER because :
  • it does not terminate when you exit like a normal application, but instead stays in background with several other friend processes you don't really need after that
  • it modifies the desktop background image and does not restore it (which is not very fair as an application behaviour).

Maybe I missed some detail. Thanks in advance to anybody who could correct me where I am wrong.

Best regards

Login or Signup to post a comment